Sunday, October 18, 2009

HOME SWEET HOME




CAN YOU GUESS WHAT THESE ARE?






Did you guess Christmas decorations? YES
In October? YES
Have I lost my mind? YEA, PROBABLY

I LOVE the holidays! I LOVE everything about October thru December! I LOVE to decorate for the holidays, especially  Christmas.  While, yes, a few small holiday-ish things have started showing up around here, I love the fall too and will wait until next month before I get too wild and crazy with all things red, green, and shiny! I will give October and November their just due.

I also LOVE to be at home!

My thoughts lately have been on the story of the lost son found in Luke 15: 11-32 and what he had to come home to. Here is what I came up with:

-A dad who (most probably) periodically looked down the road full of hopefulness.  And then finally on that glorious day when he first caught a glimpse of his son walking towards the house, (a great way off) he could not contain himself.  He took off running as fast as he could.  vs. 20

-A dad, full of compassion, who immediately showered his son with affection. vs. 20

-A dad who forgave. vs. 21

-A dad who was concerned for his son’s physical needs, as well as, wanting to display physical evidence of his forgiveness.  vs. 22

-A dad who was so full of joy that he wanted to celebrate.  He was ready to throw a party, one with guests, gifts, and food.  vs. 23

-A brother who could not have been expected to understand the unconditional love and forgiveness of a parent’s heart.  

One day in late June of last year, my daughter came home to spend the night.  I am working on putting my thoughts and words together to write the story that lead up to this evening and I will share it in the very near future.   

She stood in the kitchen on the morning of June 27, 2008 as she prepared to leave for work and said to me, “Mom, I will come home one day and it will be for good.”

As I thought about the story of the lost son and what he came home to, I started to think about what she would have to come home to.

Here is what she came home to on that night in June, as well as, what she has always had at home:

1. A house that is clean
2. A house that is quite and peaceful
3. A house that smells good
4. Fresh, clean, and crisp linens
5. Stacks of soft, fluffy towels
5. Pets that try to lick her to death
6. Plenty of food to eat
7.  A house that is cool in the summer and warm in the winter
8. A house that is far enough away from town that she can hear crickets chirping and train whistles, she can see fireflies in the woods and stars in the sky in the evening, but close enough to the local mall and restaurants that the drive is only 10 minutes away
9.  The privacy of her own room
10. A warm shower or a hot bath
11. Candles burning and lamps glowing
12. And so much more

She and I both understood that when she said she would be back  home, it did not mean to this physical address, but rather back into our lives - “for good.” 

God, I thank you for the story of the lost son and for this insight into who you are.  How many times have I lost my way, in a sea of self-centeredness?   God thank you for your patience, thank you for watching and waiting for me to return.  Thank you that when I do, you forgive, you have compassion and joy.  Thank you for loving me.  The things I want my daughter to  receive when she returns are the very things you offer me when I leave and come back to you.  Fill me with your forgiveness, your patience, your compassion, your joy, and your unconditional love so that when she returns this is what she will find:   


- A mother who has periodically watched for her to return home.  And on that glorious day when I catch the first glimpse of her out of the corner of my eye, I will not be able to contain myself.

- I will run. I will fall at her neck. And I will kiss her.

- I will forgive her.

- To sum things up, I will be filled with excitement, joy, compassion, affection, and forgiveness. 

- I will once again be able to show my love to her through giving her the desires of her heart.

- I will be understanding towards others who may not understand unconditional love.  I will pray that they can find forgiveness in their hearts.

In other words, God, I will be able to do exactly what you do for me!

Forgive me when I lose my way.  Help me to always be able to find my way home, back to you, and help her to find her way back as well! Amen





No comments:

Post a Comment