Friday, January 8, 2010

“JESUS DOESN’T LIKE CANDY CORN”

I was reminded of this story recently:  A family from our church went out to eat at Cracker Barrel.  After leaving the restaurant and getting into their car, they discovered that their little girl (she was approx. three years old at the time) had “taken” a package of candy corn (without them knowing about it or paying for it!)  She was made to take the candy back in and say she was sorry to the cashier. The parents explained to her during the ride home as to why taking something without permission or without paying for it was wrong, why she was not allowed to do so, and why Jesus did not like it. At bedtime that evening, her mother wanted to get one last “instruction” in, just to make sure she got it.  She asked her daughter, “G, do you remember what we talked about today?” Her daughter responded by saying, “Yes Mama!  I know!  Jesus doesn’t like candy corn!”

I want to believe that Jesus had to smile when he heard how this little one had interpreted this lesson learned from her act of disobedience. 

I honestly do not know if Jesus likes candy corn or not.  The Bible just does not say!  But it DOES tell me that He does not like many things: violence; pride; haughtiness; lying; murdering; plotting evil; eagerness to do wrong; a false witness; sowing discord or troublemaking; promise breaking; gifts of the wicked; deeds of the wicked; and thoughts of the wicked…  

I did not make a list of resolutions for 2010.  I usually buckle under the pressure of having an actual list in front of me of  things I am suppose to accomplish within a restricted amount of time.  What I do want to focus on in 2010 is to remove the things in my life that I know God does not like, replacing them with all things good that will bring Him honor, feeling certain that this list will not have to include one of my favorite treats: candy corn!!

No comments:

Post a Comment