Saturday, January 16, 2010

WILD AND CRAZY

Thursday was the first day of a long weekend for me in Metairie. After my husband dropped me off and left for work, I began my ritual of sorting through and unpacking all my “stuff”. I always wait until the morning we leave to throw this “stuff” together. I literally grab as many things as I possibly can in the way of clothes, food, toiletries, medication, books, computer, and everything else I think I may need while I am here. Being this unorganized and spontaneous is NOT my usual, but I have learned after almost three years that it’s easier for me to do it this way. Otherwise, I would spend way too much time during my days at home planning and packing. I have also learned what is essential for me to bring and what is not, allowing me to be able to pack in a hurry.

As I began to sort through everything on Thursday, I seized the opportunity to do some of the highly “unusual” (things I never have time to do, not to mention, never even think about doing when I am at home). Here is what my morning was like:

- Washed (with soap and water) my hairbrush
- Cleaned out my purse (I spilled coffee inside of it on Monday
morning on my way to work and had not had time to clean
it out)
- Refilled my pill box
- Cleaned out my makeup bag (wiped it out, as well as, cleaned
each makeup container)
- Made a list of things I need to do and buy while I am here, as
well as, some things I need to do next week

CAN YOU STAND TO HEAR MORE?

- Organized the pantry and the dresser drawers
- Polished a pair of shoes
- Washed thoroughly my contact lens case
- Ironed, and hung the clothes I will need for
the entire weekend
- Planned menus

CRAZY? Some might possibly think so! But, you have yet to hear the WILD!

Did I do all of this out of sheer boredom? Some, but not all of it! It was mainly because when Saturday comes, I want to be ready! Ready for the arrival of my daughter. Ready for some mother/daughter time while my husband watches the ballgame, ready to go to our favorite restaurant, to find the best King Cake in New Orleans, to spend a gift card, to buy a birthday and baby gift, to have some girl talk, to go to Ben and Jerry’s, and to do so much other fun stuff with her. I am WILD about doing these things, but more importantly I am WILD about her!

Every chance I can get to spend with her is an opportunity for me to have an impact in her life, even if it is in a small way, hopefully it is in a positive way. I am beginning to see God work on her, and this makes me CRAZY with excitement and WILD with anticipation as I watch Him work a miracle in and through her.

I will and have already begun to pray about our time together this weekend, along with so many other things that are weighing heavy on my heart right now. The people of Haiti being one.

I realize as I type even now that my mundane chores, like ironing and cleaning do not really matter. And even my pressing issues such as the problems with K cannot begin to compare with what these people are facing right now. This is an opportunity for literally thousands of people to seek and find God. I pray that this is exactly what will happen. Through the rubble, the devastation, and the grieving, they will seek Him. I cannot begin to imagine what they are going through, but I do know what it is like to travel a dark tunnel with days of fearing that you will never find your way out. God, help the residents of Haiti. As they walk through their dark tunnel, I pray they will allow You to be the light at the end of it. Thank you for being my hope during the dark days. From the world’s viewpoint, I may not be WILD and CRAZY, but WILD and CRAZY for You is what I want to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment