Thursday, July 8, 2010

WOULD YOU - YOU WOULD

TWO WORDS...TWO ARRANGEMENTS...TWO MEANINGS

This past Sunday, on July 4, my husband and I attended Metairie Baptist Church.

A little over two years ago we began looking for a church to attend during our weekends spent  in Louisiana.  Keeping in mind that Baptist Churches are not located on every corner as we are used to seeing.  Catholic Churches? Yes! Along with just about any other denomination you can possibly think of. We went on the Internet and found a few we were interested in visiting; this list consisted of four or five.  However, the very first church we visited was not one of them.  It was a non-denominational church located just blocks from the house where my husband stays during the week and we both stay on occasional weekends.  We enjoyed the service but both agreed that it was probably not the right place for us.  So, officially, Metairie Baptist was the first one on our list.

The church is located in a historical district approximately five minutes away from us.  The neighborhood is lovely and the houses surrounding it are quaint and VERY expensive.  We know because we looked into a few of them thinking we could consider purchasing one.  The church building itself is old and beautiful.  Our experience there on that particular morning was refreshing.  And even though the music was a wonderful balance of old and new; the people were friendly; and the sermon moved us to tears, we still thought we would check it off the list and move on to the next church.

But, we never did!  We have been drawn to this church and have visited every chance we get.  My husband has even attended during the week.  We would love to be able to get more involved, but have not figured that one out yet. 

We have yet to find one thing about this church that we do not like.  As I said earlier, the music is a wonderful balance of hymns and praise music.  The Minister of Music is young, energetic, talented, and friendly.  The same can be said of the Youth Minister.  The congregation is a mix of young and old.  The pastor is a middle-aged man.  He and his family are from Tennessee.  He is spirit-filled and his sermon's reflect that.  They move me to tears and I usually leave the service full of emotions, even those of jealousy when a new family has joined.  I am really confused as to why God has given us this wonderful church to attend in a city where we do not live and why we are still struggling to find one here in our own home town.  

Overall the services at Metairie Baptist are God led, organized, polished, uplifting, and inspiring.  One thing that stands out there is how often they stop to pray.  The Youth Minister presents the church with the announcements and he prays, the Minister of Music prays a couple of times, and the Pastor prays for some of his congregation who have specific requests.  He also prays at the beginning of his sermon and at the end of his sermon.   Each prayer is specific, never lengthy, and truly heart-felt.  

This past Sunday Pastor Strong prayed a prayer that gripped my heart and moved me in a way that I have never been moved before.  I am not sure why, but I did not think to mention it to my husband after we left, but the next day he mentioned it to me.  This prayer had affected him the same way it had me. It was a wake up call of sorts and possibly a life-changing moment for both of us.

It was not what the pastor said, it was how he said it.  Think about the words we use to ask God for something.  Here are some examples:

--God, please bring my daughter back to a place in her life that would please you.
--God, I pray that you would bring my daughter back to a place in her life that would please you.
--God, bring my daughter back to a place in her life that would please you.
--God, I want my daughter back to a place in her life that would please you.

Everyone of these requests are presented in the form of a command:

--Please bring! 
--YOU WOULD
--Bring!
--I want!

Pastor Strong prayed a prayer like one I have never heard in my life, like one my husband has never heard in his life.  It was a yearning.  It was full of respect, earnest desire, compassion, gentleness, and sweetness, yet so overwhelmingly powerful at the same time.  It was the picture of a young son wanting something so badly and knowing he was at the mercy of his daddy to grant him his desire.  "Father, would you take me fishing today?  Would you?

God, would you bring my daughter back to place in her life that would please you? WOULD YOU?






     

No comments:

Post a Comment