Tuesday, September 1, 2009

TRYING TO UNDERSTAND WHY

Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life. Proverbs 4:23

I read this passage of scripture and then looked it up in my commentary. Here is what it had to say: The heart is first. It speaks of the inner life, the mind, the thoughts, the motives, the desires. The mind is the fountain from which the actions spring. If the fountain is pure, the stream that flows from it will be pure." ("Believer's Bible Commentary" by William MacDonald)

In other words, everything we do, say, think, and desire comes from the heart. It is what is in our hearts that define who we are. That is why it so important for us to carefully and constantly keep it pure.

I know we live in a world where there are many dangerous and damaging influences that are virtually impossible to shield our children from. We try. I tried. There were mistakes made. There were major bumps in the road. But when I look back at the big picture, I feel secure in knowing that I made it a priority to guide my daughter in a direction where she could pick up those pure thoughts, desires, actions, etc. and place them in her heart.

I believe she did, so that is why I have to ask these questions:

First to myself: Could I have possibly done more? Did I do everything humanly possible to prevent my daughter from choosing this path she is walking?

And then to her: Why did you not keep your heart with all diligence?

No comments:

Post a Comment