Wednesday, June 16, 2010

"I NEED TO GO GET SOME PENCILS"

Her first words as she walked in the door of my office yesterday waving her paperwork in front of me.  Needless to say she was excited over having just enrolled in school for the fall semester.  It has been her desire for a long time and now it had become a reality. 

I had to smile when she made the statement knowing what she meant: The smell! Nothing like the smell of freshly sharpened pencils!  Along with all the other school supplies that signify a brand new school year.  But for her, they signify so much more:

-A new beginning
-A fresh start
-An opportunity to get some things right, to do better
-Understanding that some things are not permanent
-Mistakes can be erased or forgiven
-A promising future ahead of her

She was unsettled during our visit, mainly due to excitement, but also due to so many uncertainties.  Over lunch and during the drive to and from we talked about some of the new challenges about to unfold for her.  I encouraged her to take one step at a time allowing God to lead and to try not to worry over all that lies ahead.  I know this will be difficult for her.  It will be difficult for me as well! 

Prayer  requests:

-That she will be able to get right back into the groove of school.
-That the part time job she has applied for will become available if it is the right thing for her to do
- Her finances (She has already paid off two of her three credit card debts.  I am so proud of her.)
-Good grades (Important for the degree she is pursuing)

There are SO many more and as time goes by, I would like to share specific ones with you.

Today; however; I am going to buy her some pencils!

No comments:

Post a Comment