Monday, August 2, 2010

THE WAVE

And, no, I am not talking about a water park or this HEAT WAVE we are having here in the Pine Belt. Although, I should be. My car thermometer read 103 yesterday, and that was in the shade!!

A hand, or in this case, an arm gesture is the wave I am referring to. There is an elderly lady that walks in my neighborhood. This morning was not my first encounter with her. I see her almost every morning as I am driving out of the neighborhood headed to work. And today was no different than all the other times I have ever passed her. She waved.

This lady appears to be full of spunk and almost bounces as she walks. She is very petite. As a matter of fact she has one of the smallest frames I have ever seen. Even her hair is cut in an extremely short style. Every thing about her is petite. Everything that is except her wave!!

Here are some things I have especially noticed or wondered:

1. Her enthusiasm. Hers is not just any old wave. It is not a wave leaving you wondering if it was even a wave at all or if she was just swatting at a bug. She throws her tiny little arm up in the air and moves it back and forth with all her might at every single person who passes her. She does this looking straight ahead never missing a beat as she walks. No, there is nothing small, petite, or wimpy about her wave. She puts her entire body and soul into it.

2. She has never NOT waved. And yet I can't help but to wonder if she sometimes does not feel like waving, but does so anyway. If so, it doesn't show. They are always the same. Wholehearted and full of gusto.

3. They speak to me. Every single time. They say,"Howdy neighbor". They say, "Acknowledging you is extremely important to me because you are extremely important". They say,"I would never consider otherwise, no matter what". They say, "Have a great day today wherever you are going and whatever you will be doing. They say all of this and so much more!

4. Does she have any idea how she is affecting the lives of those around her? Many times her small gesture in the form of a friendly wave was the only thing on that particular day that lifted my spirits, even if it was just for a moment. I don't even know her name and sometimes I have wanted to pull my car over, get out, and hug her. Who knows, maybe one day I will. I don't know, but I do know this: I look forward to seeing her. I miss her when she is not out walking. She makes me smile. How many people's lives has she touched with something as simple as a wave?

5. Her spirit is contagious. As soon as you spot her on the road, you know it's coming."The Wave". And then you cannot help yourself. You just have to! You want to! You can't imagine not! You have to make sure she sees you. You wave back. And not just any wave back. You do it with the enthusiasm you know she would be proud of! Wandering why you can't be the one to give someone else a smile, the one to change someone's day, the one to wave first!

No comments:

Post a Comment