Friday, August 27, 2010

EMPTY

I have discovered a new television show. The name of it is "Hoarders".  I do not intentionally watch it, but if I happen to see it come on, I tend to want to stay glued to it for hours.  Not sure why, other than being intrigued with the fact that people can actually live with garbage piled up all around them, even to the point they cannot get into their own beds and sometimes into their own homes.  Some have gone so far as to move out and rent apartments.  Another reason I do not intentionally watch it is because it makes me want to go clean out closets!!  Not that that would be a bad thing.

Whatever the opposite of hoarding is... that would be me!

My son moved out a couple of weeks ago leaving for college.  As he packed and cleaned out his room, we talked about some of the things he use to have and play with and I almost felt guilty over the lack of childhood toys, memorabilia, etc. in there.  I just do not keep things!! Oh, I still have some of their baby items, a few toys they played with, and some of the cards and pictures they drew when they were little.  Their crib is in the attic awaiting a grandchild, but for the most part as they grew up and went from one hobby, sport, collection, or whatever, I "cleaned house" so to speak.

As a matter of fact, I am in the process of cleaning out some things today in preparation to have a yard sale next weekend.  Now that my son has moved, it is time for me to clean out some things left behind and freshen up some paint and a few other things in his room, as well as, in some of the other rooms in my house.      

I walked down my hallway one evening this week.  Both of the doors to their bedrooms were open.  And I could not help but to remember them as they use to be.  They have at one time or another housed not only furniture, but also two precious lives and all that was important to them at that particular time.    Beanie Babies, The Little Pet Shop, A Rabbit, A Bird, Yellow, Purple, Green, Blue, Beige, Gray, Floral Prints, Plaid, Baseball Equipment, Guitars, Fencing Equipment, Paint Ball Guns, Fishing Gear, Stuffed Animals, Story Time, Bedtime Prayers, The Latest Fashions, Legos, Video Games, Dinosaurs, Baby Dolls, Halloween Costumes, Makeup, School Books, Stereos.... 

NOW...

VOID OF ANY PERSONALITY...

THEY STAND EMPTY...

AS DOES MY HEART!

No comments:

Post a Comment