Thursday, April 29, 2010

50 THINGS + 50 MORE THINGS (BECAUSE 50 WAS NOT ENOUGH) I LOVED ABOUT MY 50TH BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION

1. THURSDAY, APRIL 22, 2010 - The evening drive to New Orleans with my daughter after she got off work.
2. The birthday lunch I had with my mom earlier in the day.
3. The gift card she (my mom) gave me from Bed Bath & Beyond.
4. The card from my niece.
5. The picture drawn by her dog, Sadie.
6. The note from my niece on the drawing: "She (Sadie) REALLY drew it" 
7. The talks my daughter and I had in the car on the way to New Orleans pertaining to her dreams, goals, and ambitions.
8. The poodle who rode in the back seat quiet and content because she was getting to go "bye-bye".
9. The Subway sandwiches on the way.
10. Watching my daughter as she texted her dad in the car and hearing her laugh each time he texted her back. 
11. Knowing they were up to something pertaining to my birthday and having fun with it.
12. FRIDAY, APRIL 23, 2010 - Waking up, knowing we had five whole days to be together, doing what we wanted to, when we wanted to.
13. McDonald's drive through for our late breakfast/early lunch.
14. Grocery shopping at Wal-Mart.
15. The time that FLEW by while in Wal-Mart.
16. Not realizing we had been in there for several hours when I finally realized it was 2:30 shortly after I hung up the phone telling my son to wait until around 1:00 to decide when he would drive down because of the weather.
17. The downpour while in Wal-Mart.
18. The ponchos my daughter went back inside to purchase after we had already checked out just so we could get to the car without getting soaked.
19. The fact that we got soaked anyway.
20. As well as the fact that it stopped raining just as soon as we got home and unloaded ALL the groceries.
21. My husband's early arrival home from work.
22. T.J. Maxx.
23. The turquoise canister I purchased.
24. The "silly" game we were playing when I spotted it. My husband tries to guess my favorite item on an aisle or on a shelf. (He usually never gets it right, but this time he did)
25.  My son and his girlfriend arriving.
26. The grilled shrimp, salad, and hamburgers for supper.
27. Having my son's favorite French bread waiting for him.
28. Whole Foods.
29. Cookies: short bread with chocolate drops.
30. Barnes & Noble. 
31. Scattergories.
32. The laughter over my daughter's answer for an item of clothing that starts with the letter C: CLOAKS.
33. SATURDAY, APRIL 24, 2010 - HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!
34. Hearing my family up and scurrying around in the dining room.
35. The phone calls from family members.
36. The happy birthday wishes from family and friends on facebook.
37. The Pandora bracelet and charms from my husband, daughter, and son.
38. Knowing my daughter was behind the idea, as well as, the purchasing of the bracelet.
39. Knowing how important it was for her to have something special to give me on this particular birthday.
40. The card from my husband.
41. But especially the card from my daughter.
42. The tears that it brought to my eyes.
43. The joy that it brought to my heart.
44. The comfort that it brought to my soul.
45. The earrings from my sister-in-law.
46. The bath products, candle, and decorative wrought iron cart from my daughter.
47. The "Queen's Caffeine" coffee and mug from my daughter.
48. Especially the story behind the "Queen's Caffeine" mug (the reason for all the texting between my daughter and husband during the drive down)
49. The John Besh Cookbook from my husband.
50. The Mall of Louisiana in Baton Rouge.
51. Seeing the Blue Bayou Waterpark on the way and my children's excitement and anticipation as they planned summer visits to it. 
52. VooDoo Barbecue.
53. CC's Community Coffee House and Turtle Mochasippi
54. Laughing our heads off in the food court as my husband shares with us the details of the toy he never got as a child despite the fact that he wanted it so badly. (not sure what prompted the story)
55. Watching the You Tube video of the vintage ad: "Six fingers, six fingers man alive, how did I ever survive with five?"
56. Sephora's
57. The trip that my daughter, son, his girlfriend, and myself took to the Lakeside Mall in Metairie after we returned from Baton Rouge because one GINORMOUS mall was not enough for one day.
58. We went to Jared.
59. The large Pandora display that took up approximately 1/4 of the entire store.
60. The fun my daughter and I had throughout the day looking through the catalog, talking about, and searching for beads as we planned and designed our bracelets.
61. Her bracelet and charms (dog and purse) she purchased at Jared.
62. Dragos and chargrill oysters.
63. Watching my son eat lobster.
64. The fact that we never saw a drop of rain the entire day despite the weather forecast of severe thunderstorms with possible hail and tornadoes.
65. Cafe Dummond. Coffee and Beignets.
66.The bonding that took place over the course of this long weekend.
67. A necessary ice-breaker between my daughter and my son's girlfriend.
68. My husband's love and devotion shown to me all the time and especially on this day.
69. The contentment I felt, leaving no room for sadness over turning 50, it was just a number.
70. A perfectly wonderful day, one that I never want to forget.
71. SUNDAY, APRIL 25, 2010 - The trip to the French Market that my husband, daughter, and I took after my son and his girlfriend left for home to take care of school related deadlines.
72. The stop back by Jared before going to the French Market so my daughter could make an exchange.
73. Landry's Seafood.
74. Pralines.
75. Serrano's Salsa Company.
76. Movie shopping at K-Mart.
77. Watching "Old Dogs" with my daughter.
78. My husband asleep in the recliner because he could not stay awake to watch it with us.
79. MONDAY, APRIL 26, 2010 - Knowing my daughter and I had the whole day to ourselves to shop or do whatever we wanted to.
80. T.J. Maxx and watching my daughter get excited over her find: a clutch purse and her bargain: an overnight bag originally priced at $180.00. T.J. Maxx's price was $35.00.  They were both Jessica Simpson.
81. Marshall's and my find: a computer tote.
82. PetSmart and the treats for Chole, Bentley, Bella, and Greyson.
83. Her love for animals and knowing it is an inherited trait.
84. Subway, again.
85. The crazy 8's I made circling the city trying to get to Tuesday Mornings and Wal-Mart to finally abandon the GPS and go the only way I knew how to even though it was the long way around.
86. The movie being filmed two blocks from our house on Clearview Parkway, "Jeff, Who Lives at Home".
87. The sandwiches I made (even though mine was better than theirs) (at least that is what they "lovingly" joked about when I kept making a big deal over how good mine was)
88. The picnic and walk in Lafreniere Park.
89. PERFECT weather.
90. Tutti Frutti frozen yogurt.
91. More Scattergories and hearing my daughter laugh at my answer to a personality trait starting with the letter K: KNOTS ON LOGS.
92. More movie watching.
93. More laughing at my husband who could not stay awake.  Waking up in spurts long enough to say, "I'm not asleep" or to ask, "Has it gotten to the funny part yet?"
94. TUESDAY, APRIL 27, 2010 - The silly little notes my daughter wrote and taped throughout the house for her dad to find when he got home from work after we were gone.
95. Whole Foods, again and their bath soap.
96. Bayou Country Village, Cajun Meatball PoBoys, and more Pralines.
97. A ride home and more time with her.  
98. To realize how sentimental we both are and that we laugh about the same things, like the same things, and say the same things.
99. Not wanting it to end.
100. But knowing it ended with more hope and more promises than it ever began with.  The PERFECT 50th Birthday Gift!!

No comments:

Post a Comment