Saturday, April 3, 2010

STANDING ROOM ONLY

I usually have my thoughts together before I begin writing a post and this morning I do not, so I do not know where this will go. Neither do I have a title, but I am sure one will come to me.

Last weekend my husband, some friends, and myself were in a restaurant. We had to wait 20 to 30 minutes before being seated. While sitting in the lobby, I happened to notice the capacity sign. If I remember correctly it was 375.

We were out of town, but I do know that on any given weekend the many, many restaurants where we live are full. Sometimes the wait is over an hour before one can be seated and served.

If there are 50 restaurants (not sure about this number, just throwing it out there, but there are at least that many)and each restaurant holds 375, and there is a line to get in, then that would mean that on Friday and Saturday nights there could be AT LEAST 20 thousand people eating out. In one town!!

My son wanted to go to a concert this weekend and it was sold out. In an auditorium that probably held over a thousand????

Also, this past week I typed the script for the Easter cantata at the church where I work and part of it mentioned the crowd at the cross.

I did a little research to see if I could get a number on how many were actually there. I did not come up with that number, but I do know the Bible only mentions a few specific names, less than a dozen.

All of this made me think about the crowds that we are use to seeing: the ones at the restaurants, malls, concerts, amusement parks, beaches...

I wonder if tomorrow the churches will be "standing room only".

I wonder if I had been living near Golgotha, would I have been present? To the most important event in the world, held for my benefit, one that would change me forever, AND one that was free!!

HAPPY EASTER.

No comments:

Post a Comment