Wednesday, April 14, 2010

WHEN I SAW A FLASH OF LIGHT…

And I heard the sound
Of a voice like thunder shake the ground
It was the first time I remember
Ever feeling my heartbeat… (“You Found Me” by Big Daddy Weave)

I am not now nor have I ever been a “night owl”. I wind down fairly early and wake early. I can usually “hit the floor running”. (Not literally, but you know what I mean) However, the older I get it’s more like I hit the floor shuffling. I use to be a sound sleeper, but this HAS changed. It is on a rare occasion that I am able to sleep through an entire night.

I was 28 when my daughter was born and it was very difficult for me to get use to interrupted sleep. I don’t think it would be a problem for me now, but back then (WAY back then) it was! Thankfully, though, her sleep pattern, going to bed early and waking early, mimicked mine. And, she also mastered sleeping through the night after a few short months.

My son, on the other hand, is completely opposite. He is a night owl and has always been. And he never slept through an entire night for the first year of his life.

When your children wake you up in the middle of the night…

As babies, it is usually because they are hungry. As toddlers and young children, they may have had a nightmare and are scared, or they are sick.

As teenagers, another story!

My children have called me on the phone in the middle of the night to let me know where they are or walked into my room to wake me up to let me know they were home.

And I appreciate that. I really do. Although those “middle of the night” phone calls have nearly given me a heart attack.

But, last night, or should I say this morning, around 2:00 a.m. to be exact, my son woke me up. And are you ready for this?????

Shining a flash light in my room…. “Hey, mama, wake up. The electricity is off.”

All I could say at the time was, “OK”. I wish I could have mustered up more of a conversation. I would have probably told him something like this, “Go to bed, and go to sleep! And then you will be like me, at least like me before you came in here and woke me up, not knowing OR caring that the electricity was off! At least not until you are awakend in the morning by your digital clock flashing the wrong time in your eyes."

No comments:

Post a Comment