Thursday, July 2, 2009

NOW I LAY ME DOWN TO SLEEP, I PRAY THE LORD...

My daughter to keep. Deliver her from evil. Rescue her from a destructive lifestyle. Restore her to her senses, and bring her home from the land of the enemy. Guide her into truth. Teach her to recognize deceptive ideas and thoughts. Maker her alert to the lies of the enemy, and teach her how to resist the devil by faith. Thank you for drawing my daughter with love and tenderness to yourself, even in her desert place. Show her that you are with her. You delight in her. Amid the clamor for her attention and affection, may she hear YOUR voice calling her and respond to your deep, deep love.

I wish I could take the credit for these prayers, but I cannot (At least not for writing them anyway). They were taken from a prayer card, “Praying for Prodigals”, by B.J. Reinhard. This card stays in my journal as a reminder for me to pray one or more of these twenty-one prayers for my daughter daily.

She asked me not so long ago to NEVER stop praying for her. WOW! I still do not think I have grasped what kind of awesome responsibility this is.

And to be perfectly honest, then I would have to admit that sometimes I fail miserably at my commitment. Before you judge me or think me terrible for not praying for my own child, let me assure you that Satan loves to deceive, dishearten, and depress. Most of us are only one crisis away from falling into his “lie- filled” trap. And in my weariness, I have been known to buy into the deception that my daughter is never going to “come home” and my prayers are not making a difference.

And then God restores my senses and guides me into truth. He allows me to recognize these deceptive ideas and thoughts and makes me alert to the lies. He draws me to him with his deep, deep love and tenderness. It is through the truth, a cheerful heart, and the hope that surpasses all understanding that He shows me that He is with me -- MY SOUL TO KEEP.

No comments:

Post a Comment