Tuesday, July 21, 2009

YOKED (Part 2)

The first weekend in April of this year, I drove in New Orleans for the first time since my husband has been working there for the past two years. He had always driven everywhere we went and I never ventured out alone on the days he was at work.

A friend and I went to a Beth Moore Living Proof Conference held in the arena on the Friday night and Saturday morning of April 3 and 4. We left on Thursday morning to insure enough time to shop before the conference. We were afraid that all day long on Friday and the entire afternoon on Saturday would not be adequate time. We had to think really hard to map out this plan!

Carrie Underwood’s song, “Jesus Take the Wheel”, came to my mind several times throughout our three day jaunt. To say that I was a bundle of nerves driving through this city would be putting it mildly. There were many challenges that I am not accustomed to, such as the u-turns, the more than two lanes of traffic, the traffic, the exit-only ramps that lead you to no- mans land if you accidentally get stuck taking one of them. There are also many distractions: taxi cabs, trolley cars, horses, carriages, pedestrians….

The people who live and work there would like to run over people like me. And they nearly did, on one occasion anyway. They can put Indy race car drivers to shame with their speed and agility. Everyone is in a hurry. For them, point B is where it’s at. They are all over point B and will run over you getting there. Unfortunately, while they have become accustomed to the things I consider to be obstacles and distractions and can drive through them as if they were not there, they have also become accustomed to the things I consider to be worthy enough to slow down and look at. Because they live there and see them everyday, they take the old buildings and all the architecture, churches, restaurants, landscaping, schools, etc. for granted. For them it seems to be all about the destination, but what about the journey?

My daughter has and still is taking me on a journey that I do not want to be on, one that I never dreamed in a million years that I would ever be on. I have been harnessed. My wagon is loaded, actually over-loaded, now what? To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment